Monday, January 4, 2010

Here we go!

My journey to healthiness actually began a few days ago one 1/1/10. I never make New Year resolutions, because I usually think it's silly to wait until 1/1 to start (or stop) something that is good for you. However, this year I realized that starting on 1/1 was a new chance for me. Hey..never making resolutions before didn't work...so I decided to go for it.
I haven't always been overweight. I used to be in really good shape. I played sports and was always very active. Though as I got older I let things go. Then I got married...well, we all settle in our ways...and next thing I know...I'm at 270 pounds. 270 pounds!!!!! 30 pounds away from 300! I knew it was time to take back control of my life. I have problems with blood pressure, my cholesterol is off the charts, I have Polycystic Ovaries, borderline diabetes, high liver panels...and yet I have been walking around like nothing is wrong. Unbelievable huh? Well, not anymore. I am starting my journey to healthiness. Sure, I have dieted before and lost weight. Of course, I put it all back on and then some! Each time I lose weight, I end up gaining more. But not this time. I want my life back, I want my freedom back.
I have decided to blog about this because I feel that it will be good to come and share my story, to vent when I'm upset, and cry for help when I feel like there is no hope. Sure, I am optimistic of my journey, but I know it's not going to be easy. Luckily I don't have to go through this alone. I have a wonderful husband who is taking this journey with me. I also work with an amazing group of people that are also going on this journey. There are 5 of us that have decided to lose weight. We are each putting in $25 and at the end of 6 months, the person with the highest percentage of weight loss wins the money. What great motivation!!!! In 6 months, whoever wins will need to buy new clothes anyway :) That would be a great shopping reward!
My husband and I have joined a local gym. We have worked out twice now. They were only 30 minute workouts, but WOW, was it hard!
I am not a cook...I really don't like to cook...but for 3 nights I fixed dinner, using recipes in my Weight Watchers Cookbook. We had, Orange Crusted Baked Chicken with Green Beans....Chicken Quesadillas with Corn Salad....and Honey Mustard Pork Chops with Vegetable Fried Rice. It was all so good! The food was great, the hardest part was the portions. I could have eaten everything I cooked...but at least now I have leftovers! Been a while since that has happened! haha.
So anyway....since I am a few days late starting this, I will keep up with each day from here on out. We will weigh in once a week on Friday mornings. I have our before pictures and will get them posted asap.

Our current stats are

1/1/10:
Me: 270 lbs.
Husband: 197.5 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment